Saturday, October 22, 2022

How I Manage My Genealogy Site

The main software I use to manage my genealogy site are:

  1. Reunion for Mac - to enter my data and track my research.
  2. TNG to post on my website.
I have used these for several years now, while continually testing other software for features I might need. Reunion and TNG give me everything I need.

My workflow is to enter my research into Reunion, then upload my changes and new data into TNG.

In the early days, I would use the Web feature in Reunion to generate static web pages.  When my database got too big (around 10,000 names), thismethod became a bit onerous. I had to completely upload the entire website (each entry was a separate page), which not only took some time to generate, but uploading to my web server would take hours. I often started the upload right before bedtime and hoped it didn't time out before morning.

TNG (The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding) streamlines updates. My web pages are static, and I have a bunch of cool features that static pages can't provice. You need your own hosting server with Sql database capabilities. I am not afraid of technology, so I was able to get it going right away. They offer install services for a nominal fee, so even newbies don't need to feel intimidated.

I am giving my opinion and explaining how I work, and am not paid aor endorsed.

My data is constantly being updated and corrected. I have quite a few names in my database, so it's a little bit of work to keep everything correct. I generally work on my genealogy every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment